At Eureka Baptist Church we believe that God is at the center of all of creation, the satisfaction of the human soul, the center of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and therefore is the foundation of this church. Pastor John Piper has famously stated, "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him." We seek to be a community for Christians to spur one another towards greater enjoyment of God through the grace displayed in Jesus Christ. As we spur one another on, we remember that we ourselves were once without God, and therefore exist as a church not for the mere benefit of our members, but as a hospital to seek the spiritually sick and present Jesus to those who need to taste the goodness of the Son of God who took away the sins of the world.
Eureka Baptist Church was organized on December 7, 1919. Two acres of land were donated by the John Wilson Watts family and plans for the meeting house were drawn by Otis M. Locke, Sr. The first complete service in the meeting house was held on August 14, 1920. The church shared a pastor in a field of churches until a decision was made in 1973 to support a full time pastor. In the same year land was given for the parsonage and then on February 2, 1974, Rev. and Mrs. Dale Proctor moved into the new parsonage. There have been many improvements to the church grounds over the years. But it was in that first sermon ever preached that the people of Eureka were reminded from Haggai 1 that the church should be a people "stirred up" by the Lord in order to do his work. Our story is more than brick and mortar, but a people being moved by God to be a part of his mission on the earth.
Our church cooperates on multiple levels for the purpose of missionary work throughout the region, the state, the nation, and the world. We believe it is vitally important to voluntarily associate with other Christians around the world in order to fulfill the Great Commission, which is the charge by Jesus to share, teach, and equip all people groups to be followers of Jesus Christ. Eureka Baptist Church is affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention, the Southern Baptist Convention of Virginia, and the Southside Baptist Association. In recent years members of the church have been involved in short term mission trips such as a trip to Guatemala. A former intern is now serving as a missionary full-time in Mexico.
Our story is not finished yet. While we retain much of our traditional identity from our inception, we look forward to reaching the current generation with the good news of Jesus. May we be marked by faithfulness to his Word and the Lord as God continues to move his people towards his mission to reach the nations with the Gospel until Jesus returns.